FINAL RESULTS - Cross-Mixing Commercial Glazes Pt 4/4

This is going to be a fairly long blog post as I wrap up this months glaze mixing test analysis!

Your diamonds are not in far distant mountains or in yonder seas; they are in your own backyard, if you but dig for them.”   Russell H. Conwell, Acres of Diamonds




WHY MIX COMMERCIAL GLAZES: This project began because I have far too many unused (some untouched) commercial glazes to warrant the extra expense of purchasing chemicals to mix my own. In order to deplete my supply for conscience sake, I needed to know what already have and test to them see if I have something even better. Did I have a diamonds in my own backyard?
                                     BEFORE FIRING                        AFTER FIRING CONE 5
ALTERING A WELL LAID PLAN: I had visions of getting all my glazes mixed…but the multitude of options was just too daunting. I eventually choose to mix certain glazes because I wanted to see the results.

Here were the general guidelines:
1.       Mix Only Cone 5 Glazes
2.       Mix Only Same Brands
3.       Depending on the colors here is how I chose to mix them:
a.       Amaco – Celebration
                                                               i.      TINT  - Mixed to create a Tint (added 50% white)
                                                             ii.      SHADE -*/Mixed to create a Shade (added 50% black)
b.      Amaco – Potter’s Choice (still had more of these I wanted to test)
                                                               i.       
c.       Duncan – Renaissance Glazes
d.      Laguna – Morracan Sand Series (The black & white used to shade and tint only)
e.      Spectrum
f.        Speedball

Since I could have done more testing, and more testing…and MORE testing, I’ve decided to make it a standard part of my clay practice to mix and run test chips with every glaze firing.

I FOUND MY DIAMONDS!  I believe the washes tested on the back of each test tile gave me the most satisfaction. Since I work with washes these test were GOLD to me! Seeing all the different colors filling in the groove numbers was the biggest thrill. I realized how much.



This video shows each test tile and gives what colors were mixed with what and the completed sample chips! 


What are your thoughts, do you have a favorite? !!!

ENDING THOUGHT: I WANT TO SEE MORE AND I'LL CONTINUE ON!
I could spend an entire lifetime mixing what I have…the possibilities were just endless! If I were to change the clay alone, all these colors could be completely different. Obviously I did not get to mixing all my glazes, (as there were just too many), but I believe I touched on exactly what I wanted to know about what I have. Here is a recap of the results and my thoughts.

Labels: , , , , , ,